Sunday, August 21, 2005

i am an impostor

(Prologue)
Comments on this come-out-of-nowhere blog is very much welcome. But since it is my first time to post a blog that is really crafted by me, or is a product of my worst experience, please be kind. No violent reactions please….

(Finally, I would be able to post this. I actually started drafting this right after that "fateful" incident but due to some unavoidable circumstances, i.e., I’m busy and I have so many things to say. I finished writing this just right now)
………………………………………………………………………………………………

This would also prove that some high security/high risk companies are not that really stiff in implementing security measures. Just read on…

President Arroyo was here in Cebu last two Wednesdays ago. And as usual, as a "MalacaƱang (in the south) beat reporter," I was assigned to cover one of her engagements in Mactan Export Processing Zone.To be specific, I was tasked to cover her inauguration of the sewage treatment plant-water reuse facility at the economic zone scheduled at 3:30 p.m. But aside from that, there is also another activity in Timex, which is also inside MEPZ.

Since I’ll be covering the activity of the chief executive of this country, I need to be at the venue earlier than her. We also need to go there early because Lapu-Lapu City is still few miles away and it takes a lot of weaving in the heavily-trafficked streets of Cebu and Mandaue before we get there. And so, we left TF at 1:30 p.m. This despite Liv’s plea (which I found very irresistible) that we dropped her at the Palace of Justice where she reigns as the sole princess (it's a palace so there should be a princess..hehehehe).

While Eric (the TF editorial driver) and I were about to leave, an unknown number, which I later learned to be Ma’am Divine’s (our Community section ed) sent me a text message if I would cover Arroyo at Timex. I said no because my assignment is PEZA’s wastewater treatment facility inauguration.However, when we were halfway to Mactan, Joy Torrejos (our over excited fotog) phoned me. He said he would be waiting for us in Timex, which he said is inside PEZA. So be it.

When we arrived at MEPZ, we proceed directly to Timex. The guard, upon learning that we are from the media (it’s obvious, we were using the company’s marked vehicle), opened the gate and let us in. He told me to check at with the guards if my name is among those who were invited to cover the event.

And this is now the highlight of the whole story. When I told the guards my name, they told me: "Ma’am meron na pong nakapasok na Wenna Berondo." Of course, I was surprised! "Ha?!? But I am Wenna Berondo!" But the guards explained they could not let me in because I don’t have a security pass because they already gave it to "Wenna Berondo." But I am she and it could not be possible that there is another media person in Cebu with same name as mine.

Without being told to do so, I pulled out my ID, raised it parallel to the guards’ faces and blurted out: "Sa tingin nyo ba impostor ako?!?" The Presidential Security Group member (there were 3 Timex security guards and a PSG man at the gate), who just silently stood beside the guard post, checked my ID. Then he radioed his colleagues who are inside to look for the person who took my security pass. What if the person who used my name is a terrorist or a hitman hired to assassinate the President (God forbid)? I could hardly imagine how alarmed they were. All in my mind was how to prove I am Wenna Berondo and how to get out of the mess.

I argued with the guards in mixed English and Tagalog (Tag-lish). I was also texting Queenie (our day desk ed), telling her I could not get inside Timex/MEPZ. She told me to contact the persons from the PIA. I also called Joy T. and asked him who used my SP, he could not give me an answer. Grrrr…

I don’t understand what I felt (as in). It was the first time that my identity was questioned. May be I was irritated. Why? Because they seem to pretend that they implement strict security but they allowed somebody to get my security pass without even asking that person for an ID to prove that he/she would be given a security pass.The guards said someone who claimed to be also from The Freeman uses my SP and he/she was with the group of Iste (also TF fotog). It was only then I realized it could be Ma’am Divine, who earlier sent me a message if I would go to Timex. But she did not say she would use my SP. If she did, I could have shunned from going there. So, I just asked where the site for the wastewater treatment because I’ll just proceed there. But they will not let me go! The (old) woman guard (who may be the chief of security of Timex) told me to stay until they establish who used my SP. So there, I was held in the guard house for about 30 minutes….arrggghhh… I was blaming the guards. Lax in security, I told them. But the (old) woman guard was pleading because if I keep on, it would be discovered it’s their entire fault after all (hope they learn their lesson).

I was only "rescued" when Bob (of PIA) came. He told the guards I am a reporter of TF and he knows me. Just few steps away, we saw Joy T. ("Lami jud ni siya duklon," I thought… I refuse to elaborate) coming bringing my SP. We went inside the establishment and went with the pack of reporters.

Arroyo arrived almost 4 p.m. he stayed in Timex just about 30 minutes then proceed to the inauguration of wastewater treatment.

And the rest was part of history….

By the way I came across Marc Nelson in Timex. I was going out of the building and he was going inside. We have contact… eye to eye…hehehehe. He smiled but I just looked at him. "Aba, isnabera…" he might have thought. :)

No comments: